We’re looking for someone to fill the role of Creative Development Manager with Curious Legends. This is a Creative Development role across our productions and performances, offered at 20 hours per week on a trial 6 month contract. Remuneration is $35.30/hr, + super. Your core responsibility? Get more gigs for the company, and have fun while doing it! Creative input into our projects and activities is possible – and desirable – for the right person. This is a senior role with our company, working in collaboration with our Artistic Director.
• Developing future directions for the company, in 2022 and beyond, with the Artistic Director and senior company staff. This primarily relates to business direction and implementation, however creative input is welcome;
• Identifying appropriate grants for the company, writing them, and acquitting them, with oversight from the Artistic Director;
• Networking on behalf of the company, and maintaining networking links.
• Identifying opportunities for sponsorships and business partnerships, and pitching for them
• Proactively seeking new organisations to book our work (particularly with relation to roving and workshops)
• Helping manage projects once funding is attained, as well as working to envision, find additional funding for, and carry out projects on the ground.
• Production management of projects, as required
• Staff management, as required
While not required, additional engagement with the company is possible, for a person with the right skillsets. This may include:
• Performing & Running Workshops
• Prop/puppet making
• Create/directing specific projects
• Highly organised
• Strong financial skills and background
• Business development experience
• An awesome grant writing skillset
• Fantastic relationship management
• Familiarity with pitching sponsorship proposals
• A creative individual, willing to push boundaries and social ‘norms’
• Willingness to ‘work in the cloud’, through our online office software and programs. Familiarity with, and being comfortable working independently in a digital environment is an essential requirement of this role.
• Desire to engage creatively with the company, and join a vibrant team
• Being in Newcastle (sometimes a skill in itself). Barring that, being able to get to Newcastle periodically for gigs, projects, and meetings.
While not essential, the following is a huge plus:
• Performance/production/making experience
• Experience as a General Manager and/or Creative Producer
(this isn’t quite that, but many of the skills will transfer across)
• A love of chalk, analogue technologies, and ‘old-school’ tech such as blackboards
(not essential, but you’ll fit right in)
Who We Are
Curious Legends is a vibrant young company, well-known for its large scale, outdoor performances and events. Past performances have seen us float work down rivers (Maitland Riverlights Festival), tour work through rural Indonesia (Penjelajahan Orang Utan), create work in Germany (Legenden Vom Licht), and even make site-specific theatre at the local Tip! (Taylor’s Run).
The past 2 years have seen meteoric growth for our company, across a range of exciting projects and performances. A not-for-profit charity, our board is comprised of members with strong expertise in finance, international relations, law, production, and the arts. For this role, we’re looking to bring someone on to work with our Artistic Director, and take our company to the next level.
Future plans for 2022 include regular roving engagements, physical theatre performances, several large scale, outdoor theatre performances, workshops, a number of creative developments, and more. For the right person, this is a collaborative role helping run the company, and influencing our future direction.
How to Apply
Keen to be involved? Email your CV, and a cover letter pitching why you’re perfect for this role to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Potential applicants will be contacted via phone to discuss the role, and arrange an interview via videolink.
Applications close at midnight on Monday, September 27th, 2021.